Take a look back and a look forward to the fourth season of the hit HBO series, the show features clips from upcoming episodes, behind-the-scenes-footage, interviews with talent, and cast members’ answers to questions posed by fans.
Emilia Clarke on her character Dany in Game of Thrones season four
Emilia is featured in the March Spring Fashion issue of WSJ. Magazine. She talks about the dynamic between her and her Game of Thrones costars; how she landed the role; and the trials and tribulations of being a drama student. The photoshoot and article are available online.
These are some of Emilia quotes from the article, be sure to check it on WSJ. Magazine site or in the issue that will hits newsstands Saturday, February 15!
Emilia Clarke Quotes
• Since Clarke’s character is often alone, she has yet to share a scene with many of her costars: “We’re [often] in totally different locations. You’re at an awards show, saying ‘Lovely to meet you. We’re in a show together, apparently. You’re really good!’”
• Her GOT audition went something like this: “I did the robot, followed by the funky chicken. I think it sealed the deal.”
• On her insecurities during season one of GOT: “I spent season one just hoping I was doing it right.”
• Clarke increasingly sees more of Dany in herself: “It’s the growth of a girl into a woman. She’s being thrown into the deep end, to see if she can sink or swim, and she decides to do it her way. It was wonderful to see a character with such humble beginnings, and such low self-esteem, beginning to trust herself. So my feelings within filming it were echoed—in a much more dramatic way, obviously.”
• On her very first audition for a play in London at 10 years old: “I was learning a folk song in school about a donkey, so I decided to sing that. They said, ‘Do you know anything more current?’ I then gave them my best rendition of the Spice Girls, complete with dance moves—that’s where my musical career ended. It made me realize that I wasn’t quite ready. I think my parents were trying to give me a healthy dose of realism early on.”
Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss Joint Quotes
• On Clarke’s sense of humor: “She’s effing funny. Does that mean we’ve written hilarious scenes for her? No. But someone should.”
• On the dynamic acting skills that set Clarke apart: “We needed an actress who could convincingly embody both the timid, voiceless Dany we first meet, and the Mother of Dragons she later becomes. Only Emilia nailed both.”
Updated the gallery added way more pics from the SAG Awards, new outtakes from The Observer photoshoot (replacing the old ones with large quality) and a new photoshoot taken during TIFF. Enjoy!
Photoshoots > Session #042 (TIFF 2013) [+5]
Photoshoots > Session #038 [+3]
The first production stills from the Game of Thrones Season 4 Premiere (which will air on April 6) have been released! Be sure to check our gallery for the Emilia/Daenerys ones.
Emilia is going to be featured in the Spring/Summer 2014 issue of VS Magazine! You can see her cover below, hopefully the editorial will be available as well soon!